Long Island, New York Scuba Diving

Our Long Island Scuba diving adventures and events

Saturday, April 23, 2005

It's April, It's Been April, When Are You Going To Start Diving

April is a great time to break out the gear and get into the water. Lot's of ambient light as we approach the spring equinox and the water is clear and free of algae. In addition, there is little to no boat traffic on the water, meaning you can dive some docks and channels that would mean certain death in the summer time. I particularly enjoy diving under floating docks where boaters who trailer their boats load and unload their boats. You can find all kinds of things in those concentrated spots. The other day I went to one of my favorite North shore spots which is located right next to a boat ramp. It's easy access with a giant stride right off the floating dock and the vis was easily 20 feet. I immediatley started rumaging along the bottom under the floating dock as people drop all kinds of things there. In the first 10 minutes I found these items:
Fishing pole and reel
Brass nuts
Cell Phone in case
3 fishing lures
.22 cal bullet
2 .308 cal bullets
watch band (couldn't find watch)
Many bottles

Not bad for a quick salvage run. I continued on swimming parallel to the bulkhead and zig zagging out into the channel. As I did this I would blow some of the sand away with my hand to expose some nice clams. I picked up a bag full this way in no time. As I neared the end of my dive I headed for an 82 Mustang that sank off the boat ramp several years ago. It used to be nice and shiney red but it has deteriorated quite a bit and it is sunk in the sand up to the middle of the doors. The engine compartment is known to hold lobsters so I lifted the hood and was amazed to find a very large anenome. I'll have to remember that one as I expect to setup a nice fish tank this year. All around it was a great dive and I urge you to take advantage of the clear water and quiet diving available to you in the early season. The water temps range from 45- 52 degrees this time of year. so a good 7mm suit will do it. On my dive it was 48 degrees and I was using my trusty Diving Concepts dry suit. I was toasty warm.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Tom Andersen said…

    Matt, if you have observations that you don't want to post for whatever reason, I'd like to use them on Sphere. I'm trying to get observers from LI and Ct to send me stuff, to give readers more of a feel for what's going on out of doors (and under the water).
    I can't find your e-mail address, which I why I make the rewuest in a comment. Thanks.
    Tom Andersen
    www.ThisSphere.blogspot.com

     
  • At 2:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Is this the Matt Sasso from Centereach circa 1985?

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Matt Sasso said…

    Yep, that's me

     

Post a Comment

<< Home