Long Island, New York Scuba Diving

Our Long Island Scuba diving adventures and events

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Catching Lobster, a diver’s guide to Locating Larry

Come the warmer weather I’ll stop buying so much meat at the market. By the end of April I will be able to substitute some of it for Blackfish and of course my beloved lobster. From May through November I probably eat enough lobster to turn into one. And “No”, I never get sick of them. You got your Lobster grilled, steamed Lobster, lobster salad, lobster rolls, lobster bisque, Lobster sauce, (Wait a minute, this is starting to sound a bit familiar) lobster ravioli, lobster and steak, stuffed lobster. “And that’s it Forest.”
Most new divers and underwater hunters want to know two things about lobster. First, how do you find them? And second, how the hell do you catch them without losing a finger?
Locating Lobsters is fairly simple. You need to understand several things. The three most important points are that they are nocturnal, they like to always have their bellies on sand and they are very territorial. If you are night diving you are likely top see lobsters out for a stroll if there are any in the area. They will usually be close to a hole that they use to hide in during the daytime. The hole will be located under a large rock, where two rocks lean together, under some sunken wood (they love wood), In a debris fields where it meets the sand and inside of pipelines, conduit or old tires if they are available. If you are diving during the daylight hours those lobsters are going to be hold up in their little fortresses with their antenna sticking out watching what’s going on outside so you are going to have to look for them. This means taking your light and getting down low in the rocks and debris(on a lobster’s level) and start looking in every hole and crack you can find. If there are lobsters in the area you will find them. Now we come to how you catch one.
If it is nighttime and the lobsters are cruising in the open, just grab the body behind the claws and hold them tight. They cannot spin back on you and bite if you hold them this way. When you grab for one do it fast and right away so they don’t have a chance to react. Once you have hold of them, open your bag and put them in tail first. Lobster swim backwards so as soon as you let go of him he’ll shoot right to the bottom of the bag. Close the bag and look for another one.
If it is daytime and the lobster is in a hole you are going to have to move quickly. The lobster will most likely be facing out towards you where he can put his claws to the best use on your fingers. When you find one in a hole you will need to get into position to thrust your arm into that hole as far it will go on the first shot. Those holes go deep and if he gets ahead of your hand you will lose him. So get into a good position to grab him kind of as if you were going to throw your best punch. The technique is to keep your hand open as wide as it will go and with the tips of your fingers curled slightly down. You are going to throw your hand in there very fast and you don’t want to jam a finger on a rock. As you throw your “Punch” you will want to keep the top of your hand grazing the top of the hole. The theory is that you will get your hand over the top of or behind the lobster before he can get past your hand. Pin the lobster to the bottom of his hole and start to wrangle him out. Move him around a lot and tire him out. Make him use all his strength as he fights you by changing his balance. In less than a minute he’ll just pop out of the hole all worn out. Throw him in the bag and find another.
The claws don’t really hurt if you are wearing gloves unless it is a little one. They have very sharp claws. I don’t even bother with them.
In New York it is illegal to use any kind of stick or noose to capture lobster as a diver. And you are going to need a lobster permit which costs $10 from the NYDEC. You will also need a lobster gauge to measure them to make sure they are of legal size which is 3 1/4” on the carapace. You must use your hands. I have caught hundreds this way and expect to catch many many more.
Oh, and remember when I told you lobsters were territorial. Well, if you catch a large lobster in a hole the chances are great that that is a prime piece of real estate and he fought off other lobsters to get it. If you go back to that hole a few days later there is a good chance that the next guy in line has moved in. There are a lot of underwater hunting resources available at http://www.spearfishingextreme.com
Happy Lobstering.

18 Comments:

  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Top Yahoo Position was actually the information I was looking for when I found your blog. Catching Lobster, a diver’s guide to Locating Larry is certainly a great topic Long Island Diver "The Masked One"... Are you interested in trading links between our sites?

     
  • At 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", I was out blog surfing looking for some info on wood working technique when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working technique. I am going to
    bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about wood working technique at the site above.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One"...Wow! While I was searching for info on wood working band saw I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working band saw. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about #KEYWORD##.

     
  • At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", I was out blog surfing looking for some info on gun cabinet wood working plan when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. W hile I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for gun cabinet wood working plan. I am going to
    bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about gun cabinet wood working plan at the site above.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on dewalt wood working tool, I ended up on your page. Your Catching Lobster, a diver’s guide to Locating Larry shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about dewalt wood working tool.

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on starting a wood working business I somehow ended up on your page. As your Catching Lobster, a diver’s guide to Locating Larry is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I
    stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about starting a wood working business, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", you have a nice blog. Glad to see it. Today I was out blog surfing looking for detailed info on pattern santas wood working when I found your page. Your site describing Catching Lobster, a diver’s guide to Locating Larry is not an exact match but it did catch my interest. I am going to add you to my favorite list of blogs for future reading and reference. Should you ever need information on pattern santas wood working then drop by the site above and check it out.

     
  • At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on machinery paper sawmill wood working, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about machinery paper sawmill wood working.

     
  • At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One"...Wow! While I was searching for info on machinery paper sawmill wood working I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for machinery paper sawmill wood working. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about machinery paper sawmill wood working.

     
  • At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on wood working hobby I somehow ended up on your page. As your Catching Lobster, a diver’s guide to Locating Larry is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about wood working hobby, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on rocking horse in uk wood working, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about rocking horse in uk wood working.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on wood working hobby I somehow ended up on your page. As your Catching Lobster, a diver’s guide to Locating Larry is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about wood working hobby, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One"...Wow! While I was searching for info on wood working bed plan I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working bed plan. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about wood working bed plan.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Long Island Diver "The Masked One", your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on discount scuba diving gear I somehow ended up on your page. As your discount scuba diving gear is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I
    stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about lighting photography, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

     
  • At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there blog owner! I am searching blogs to find information and sources to help with my website:http://all4yournet.com/weddingplanning/ My site is fairly new about 8 months old and have a google pr of 3 and get about 50 people a day to visit. My site has americana home decor and is all affiliate merchandise.
    I have been in MLM companys for the past 8 years offline mainly and have never made a dime. This is a new frontier for my wife and I and don't have very much experience but a friend suggested searching blogs to get ideas about how people sale and also what kind of information they offer their customers and clients. We are begining to make some good money selling americana home decor related articles but I also want to offer my customers some quality information to go along with good deals. If you make it to my site and can offer some constructive critisizm I will take it into consideration or if you have some ideas it will be greatly appreciated. Remember we are on a budget and we do all the work ourselves.

    Thank you for your time.
    Prosperous Regards,
    americana home decor

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Sreenivasa S said…

    Hi you have got a good info on your blog which is worth reading, even I have a Muscle toning related website and blog. I should say good job done

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    High

    I was searching through blogs and came aross this one. Sweet. Is anyone trying to locate a charter boat or a fishing guide in. If so here's a webpage you might be interested in.

    anchors away
    sailfish fishing

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger Kyle Grando said…

    wow...it is pretty nice information you have here. Thanks for sharing this great and important blog.

    HOTEL IN OKLAHOMA CITY OK

     

Post a Comment

<< Home